The enviable strides of Brigadier Gen Lonsdale Adeoye in the resuscitation of shooting sport in Nigeria after 3 decades of obscurity is worth commendable, below are the provisional reasons for questions “Why” and “How” could the General be making such indelible headlines👇👇
- Total overhaul of the abandoned Nigerian National Shooting Range located at the Package B of the Abuja National Stadium to the required standard, which is now seeing series of shooting activities, beclouded with a serene atmosphere, free from human and natural hazards.
- Successful hosting of an integrated Coaching Clinic, both for para and able-bodied shooting coaches, domiciled in Nigeria, with over thirty participants.
- The Board successfully hosted the first International Shooting Sport Federation(ISSF) Certified Grade D Coaching Course in Abuja, Nigeria, in conjunction with the Nigerian Olympic Committee(NOC) and Nigerian Lottery Trust Funds (NLTF) in January, 2017, with two professional Grade A (ISSF-Certified) tutors from Serbia.
- In December, 2017, the NSSF organized the “ONE SERVICE, ONE MEDAL” Game in Kaduna and had security agents and agencies participating.
- The Brigadier Lonsdale Adeoye-led Board further spread its developmental programmes to the media as the Board hosted the Maiden Media Shooting Workshop and Competition in February, 2018, where over fourty media professionals from the various media houses in Nigeria partaking in the four days event.
He also ensured the inauguration and co-option of para-officials into the main body of the NSSF, in consonance with International Shooting Sport Federation’s Statues, with the creation of the position of 2nd Vice President.
- In May, 2018, the Board organized the 2nd Late Major Ojo National Open Shooting Championship, which took place at Rowe Park, Yaba, Lagos.
- The President, in his desire to see shooting gain ground in Nigeria, undertook a country-wide tour to access the state of shooting facilities, and effected necessary repairs and usage.
One of the sites visited was the Shooting Range at Ukporota, Port-Harcourt, Rivers State, which was later handed over officially to the NSSF for use.
- Also, in the second quarter of year 2018(May 4th-15th), the Italian Italian Short Gun Federation invited the NSSF president to attend the Emir’s Cup for Short Gun Championship.
During that championship, the NSSF President signed pacts and collaborations between the NSSF and its foreign counterparts.
The signing of the collaborations with eight manufacturers of shooting sport weapons and accessories would see Nigeria become the hub of shooting sport weapons and accessories purchase and distribution in West Africa.
In one of the pacts signed, the Italian Short Gun Federation and Italian Pistol and Rifle Federation, would collaborate and partner with the NSSF to upgrade, to international standard, shooting sport in Nigeria.
- Fast growing as the sport of shooting is in Nigeria, the Zone Two of the African Union(West Africa ) is on the verge of signing agreement, in principle, to make Nigeria the headquarters of shooting in West Africa.
- To meet up with their counterparts in other parts of the globe, the NSSF introduced new games like Laser Run Game, Paint Ball Game, Target Spread Game and Short Gun(Trap) Game.
- In his meticulous and unflinching desire to see shooting gain global look-in, the president and his board members ensured shooting sport was included on
the sports TEAM NIGERIA featured at the 3rd African Youth Games in Algiers, Algeria, between July 18th-28th, 2018.
At Algeria, the NSSF President was able to sign collaborations with four countries, namely, Sudan, Morocco, Liberia and Angola, to help develop shooting
sport in those countries.
Also, the NSSF participated at the 2019 National Youth Games in Ilorin, Kwara State, for the first time ever, with ten states featuring athletes.
At the international scene, two officials from the NSF were sponsored by the ISSF to attend Developmental System Course in October, 2017 in Montenegro. They were Brigadier General Adeoye and Athletes’ representative, Abdul Madu.
Another two went for the same course this year under sponsorship of the ISSF.
Interestingly, too, the European Shooting Confederation sponsored the NSSF President to a Grade C Coaching Course in Montenegro in 2018.
In financial assistance, the ISSF has spent about 9,000 Euros on the NSSF since the inception of this Board after seeing the potentials that abound in it and wishes to do more.
- In 2019, the NSSF held the second edition of the Media Shooting Workshop and Competition for Sports Journalists with over 50 members from across the country in attendance and planning to host the Maiden West African Media Shooting Workshop and Competition.
- The NSSF equally participated in The 2019 All Africa Games in Morocco as well the African Shooting Championship in Algeria in 2019.
- The NSSF President is a member of the commonwealth games representing Africa and organization is encouraging Nigeria to host shooting sport event as from 2021 when the PMB SHOOTING SPORT ARENA would have been ready and tested.
- The NSSF President has also sent three names for ISSF Sub-committee appointments, and it is hoped that it would scale through before the end of the year.
- Currently, the consultants in the U.K. are waiting for the Ministry’s approval to continue rebranding the shooting sport in collaboration with SPORTS WIZZ of India which shall start before the end of the year.
The endorsement was signed by the duo of the NSSF President and Board member, Major General Hammakim.
- Efforts are being intensified to commence the renovation of the 25 and 50metres ranges respectively, a project the Sports Minister promised to support its funding, and hopefully, the facility would be ready to host the 3rd Media Shooting Sport Clinic and Championship.
- The NSSF is seeking permissions to commence the “SUNDAY DARE SHOOTING SPORT RANGE” at no cost on the Ministry . The NSSF is also seeking approval to start discussions on “PMB SHOOTING SPORT ARENA” with five offices at the Range so that the President, Secretary Generals including para-shooters access and shop to control the sale of NSSF equipments as agent for West Africa, by the manufacturers. These manufacturers would also sponsor the NSSF teams.
- In collaboration with a military scientist from Nigeria Defence Academy, the NSSF was able to invent a new solar-powered target changer, waiting for final commissioning by the Minister, and this would be done when renovation of the Range the Minister promised to fund for the NSSF is completed.
The project is projected to last for only two weeks before completion.
- The following corporations are partners of the NSSF who are waiting for good the green light on the NSSF involvement in all shooting sport activities. Corporate sponsors and organizations like the ISSF, ECOWAS, Barreta Weapon Company, Fiochi Weapon Company , Capatalini for Shooting Shot Gun Costumes, Euronet and Eurotarget forShotgun Cartridges, Walther and Atchustz Rifle and Pistols, Farenbua Weapons Company, Lapua and Eky Ammonition Companies, Integre Brand Construction Company, RBK Royal and Elysee Global Concepts Finance and Construction Companies(By Young Nigerians in France and Nigeria), RoMAX Trading Company Belgrade – Serbia , Italy Shot Gun, Pistol Rifle Federations, Serbia and Serbian Government and the Safari Hunters Association of Nigeria.
Currently, the NSSF is in talks with Norway and Turkey through its consultant in the U.K. for similar purposes.
- The Nigerian Army is engaging with the immediate-past NSSF President to build and equip the Army Range in Jaji, affixed with electronic targets with a view of replicating this around the Nigerian Army facilities.
- To broaden his horizon, the immediate-past NSSF President has been working also on undertaking a research on Rifle jackets and shoes from tarpaulin company in Zaria, Kaduna State, which is expected to be completed within two weeks.
These are some of the revenue earning ventures for mass production to West African countries, and later Africa. The Company rebranding the NSSF ‘SPORTS WIZZ’ is based in India.
The NSSF collaborates with them through Assembly consultant, a Nigerian based in the U.K., Kola Olagbaiye Esq.
- Plans are on the way to stage the first ECOWAS Media Shooting Clinic and Championship in Nigeria.
- I am glad to inform you that the NSSF has taken delivery of modern and state-of-the-art shooting equipment and shooting sport weapons donated by the ISSF as well as facilities for electronic ranges.
Those facilities worth millions of naira, are already in the custody of the NSSF.
- In November, 2020, for the first time, ever, Nigeria successfully hosted the African Shooting Sport Federation’s Judges’ Course in Air Pistol and Air Rifle.
The one-week long programme had over fifty high-ranking participants drawn from the Military and Para-military agencies across Africa in attendance, including Egyptian cum Africa Shooting Sport Federation’s President, Major General Hazan Hozny, who was one of the resource persons.
Mrs. Mbora Ikana, Lagos Liaison Officer, Federal Ministry of Youth and Sports Development, represented the Honourable Minister, Sunday Dare, even as there was representative for the Nigeria Olympics Committee’s President, Engr. Habu Gumel.
- The NSSF, too, has been able to woo a United Kingdom-born US-based international shooter, Dr. Anire Okpaku to come and represent Nigeria at the forthcoming Olympics Games in Japan later in the year.
In March, this year(2021), Dr. Okpaku represented Nigeria at the International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF) Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun World Cup in Delhi, India.
The achievements of the recently dissolved Board of the Nigeria Shooting Sport Federation under Brigadier General Adeoye in four years cannot be overemphasized, even though lots of other programmes are lined up for 2021.
But special thanks and much ado must go to the Honourable Minister of Youth and Sports Development, his Permanent Secretary, Directors, and staff, the Chief of Defence Staff, Chief of Army Staff, the Inspector General of Police, NSSF partners and sponsors, the Media(particularly SWAN) and few others who have always given their unalloyed supports to the NSSF .
Despite meagre resources available to it, the immediate-past board of the NSSF achieved so much than ever thought possible, four years since its inauguration, which means it would achieve more and make Nigeria the home of shooting sport in Africa, and a formidable force in world’s shooting sport, given another chance pilot the affairs of the Federation.
Together, we can do more, especially in a sport that has up to 36 medals in it.